Today we are going to talk about defining your online niche.
In some cases, as a business owner, you already have a well-defined niche, but for online purposes and to become a thought leader and attract prospects online
– you may need to narrow down your niche and be more focused than you have been traditionally. For some of you, you may not have ever really thought about your niche – you just do what you do. So play along with me, and let's dive deep into determining your niche.
First, let's define niche vs. your primary, ideal customer
Your niche – is the topic or content you are focusing on
Your PIC or your primary ideal customer is who you are trying to attract or talk to online.
When you go online with a part of your business, YOU NICHE should be your deepest passion – what are you most passionate about in your business?
As a THOUGHT LEADER - you need to figure out what it is you want to be known for in your industry.
If you choose the right topic, you will be very successful and busy working on this topic and sharing more and more information about this topic with your prospects, so make sure it's a topic you LOVE. Make sure it's something you care about and get excited about because then when you know you need to work on something – you are thrilled to take the time to do it.
For example, a lot of us work with different types of businesses or clients. If you are a business consultant - you may have technology clients, education clients, financial clients. If you are an attorney, your client base could be very diversified, depending on your field or practice. Same for a doctor. In my caser, I am a marketing strategist. I've worked with all types of businesses. But for my purpose of taking information online, I am focusing on helping small business owners. You have ALWAYS been my deepest business passion.
I love meeting business owners for lunch and helping them talk through ideas and strategies to grow their business. So I knew, when I finally decided to take the leap and go online, I would focus on small business owners or someone who has a specialty they want to share, so you know your stuff, but you just aren't sure where to start to get their business online or to get yourself out there as a thought leader in your industry.
So, where do you start when you are defining your niche?
We start with your PASSION
Your PASSION is the one thing that excites you the most.
What are 5 things you are most passionate about in your business– before you think about anything – answer this question without thought.
- Helping business owners and entrepreneurs
- Writing and creating new things that don't exist
- Creating ROI for my clients – to prove what I do helps them
- Learning new ways of doing things and Keeping everyone informed
- Being recognized as someone who knows what they are doing
- Making money – you need to be passionate about making money, but you also need to be passionate about what it is you are doing if you want to be AUTHENTIC.
Now, think about your GIFT. Your gift is a little different than your passions.
Your GIFT is the one thing that you do best with the least amount of effort.
That is your GIFT.
- My gift is inspiring people. That's what I absolutely love to do, and think I do well. I make people excited to get involved, move forward- I ignite action.
Now you need to use this information, and you need to define your WHY. Some of this may seem redundant, but if you answer all of the questions – you will be able to really narrow down what you are doing, why you are doing it, and the message you will use to attract your prospects.
- Why are you in business?
- Why should anyone care about what you do?
- Why are you good at what you do?
- Think about WHY people come to you for help
You have your own unique story and how you help your prospects – whether it be with a product or a service
- List the problems that you solve for your customers or clients
- Problem 1
- Problem 2
- Problem 3
- Here's also something to think about that we always hear- Why are you the best at what you do? What makes you stand out from the competition? I'm here to tell you - don't worry about everybody else, there is always someone out there that you might think is doing it better than you. Don't let fear hold you back. Just make sure you are offering the best service or the best products that you can – do everything to the best of your ability, and you will attract the people who need your help.
Just like someone will always have more money than you – that doesn't keep you from wanting to earn money. Go out there and get what you want.
Now, think about what inspires you each day?
- What makes you tick?
- What gets you excited to get out of bed in the morning?
- What is your motivation for building yourself up as a thought leader?
Your niche should be determined by the intersection between your passions, your gift,and the value you bring to your prospects.
Keep these answers handy, so you can refer to them often and keep yourself on track.
I will have all of this outlined in my show notes so you can follow along and answer the questions easily.
About Robynn Anton
As an author and former co-host of the entrepreneurial Radio Show American Dreamers, Three Days to Thrive, Host Robynn Anton takes this CRITICALLY-FOCUSED podcast and walks you through the things you should be doing RIGHT NOW to connect and engage with your prospects online. No fluff. No drawn-out explanations - just critically-focused information. Take action today, and see your business THRIVE!
For more show notes, worksheets on this topic, and the latest episodes, please visit RobynnAnton.com/podcast
For more information on Robynn's book Three Days to Thrive: How to Write an eBook in Three Days or Less >> CLICK HERE
To get updates on new episodes, please SUBSCRIBE now!